March is Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month. This year, we’re amplifying stories and voices of people we support.
To kick off the month, Hamilton County had a large presence at the annual DD Awareness and Advocacy Day celebration on March 1. They met with State Sen. Catherine Ingram to talk about issues important to people with disabilities.
Representatives from LEND discussed childcare needs, HCDDS Advocacy Support Adviser Diana Mairose shared information about housing, voting, and the DSP crisis; and Michael Denlinger, representing Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council, and Dakotah Whitley talked about medical needs and accessibility.
We also posted a new video of people sharing their favorite activities. DD Awareness Month is a good time to remember that we all have hobbies and interests that can connect us.
Finally, we’re revisiting the cover stories from our past issues of My Life magazine. These include:
- Camilla Gilbert embraced her uniqueness and started her own business, Microtia Life, to empower people with disabilities through education, advocacy and mentorship.
- Charles Cantey gained independence living on his own while learning how to ask for what he needs.
- Keya Curtis’ experience helps her empower others to discover their self-worth and strengths.
- Marisa Conners wanted to make stylish clothes more accessible and launched her fashion brand in April 2021.
- Scott Holland turned his love for sports into an employment success while building his skills and independence through work.
- Mason Bailey fought for opportunities to prove himself and started his own landscaping business.
You can find them on our website or watch our social media channels for updates on these stories!